Whether you’ve just installed new flooring or want to maintain your current one, it’s important to use the right products and techniques. Some floors can be easily damaged with the wrong products, and you don’t want to find this out after the fact! Read below for tips from the experts at Floor Coverings International West Houston for cleaning and maintaining the 3 most popular flooring types: tile, hardwood, and carpet.
Tile Cleaning & Maintenance Tips
- Sweep or vacuum at least once per week to prevent any rocks or dirt tracked in from damaging the tile.
- Take advantage of tile’s water resistance and mop regularly to also help remove any dirt and grime. Your Floor Coverings International West Houston design associate will let you know if your particular floor requires a special type of cleaner.
- Remember to clean the grout! Periodically remember to scrub the grout with a soft bristle brush and cleaner.
Carpet Cleaning & Maintenance Tips
- Vacuum regularly to prevent dust and dirt from embedding itself into your carpet at least 1-2 times per week.
- Clean up any spills immediately by blotting it with a clean cloth. If needed, use a special carpet cleaner to further remove the stain.
- To keep your carpets looking beautiful for longer, it’s important to have them professionally deep cleaned 1-2 times per year. This can also help restore your carpet and make it look new again.
Hardwood Cleaning & Maintenance Tips
- Like all flooring, it’s important to sweep or vacuum weekly to get rid of any dirt or debris that have been tracked in. If you’re going to use a vacuum, make sure it is hardwood safe or you may end up scratching your floors.
- Since hardwood is not water resistant, it’s important to clean up any spills right away. Use a hardwood safe cleaner if needed.
- Installing area rugs and mats in your home is a great way to protect your wood floors in high-traffic areas of the home.
- One of the great things about hardwood is that it can be sanded and refinished several times to get rid of any dents or scratches. Thankfully the experts at Floor Coverings International West Houston can do this for you!
Schedule your free in-home design consultation today to learn more about your different flooring options and how to maintain them. We proudly serve the greater West Houston and Sugar Land areas and look forward to working with you.
Photo Credit: VGstockstudio